”No-one has come up with a better solution then LAF.”
P-O Henriksson, project manager at Skanska
“LAF is the most effective, until proven otherwise”
When the time came to expand surgical capacity at Karlstad Hospital, the county council preferred a new build to refurbishing the existing unit. The principal contractor was Swedish construction giant Skanska. Project Manager P-O Henriksson of Skanska remembers, “We built 15 ORs, and we discussed ventilation requirements with surgeons and other medical staff. Four ORs were earmarked for implant surgery. We all agreed that meant installing LAF canopies. For the remaining eleven, which called for a maximum of 50 CFU/m³, we opted for a turbulent airflow solution. When it came to LAF-canopies, CRC Medical was an easy choice.”
At a glance
- 4 ORs
- Customer requirement: 5 CFU/m³ or lower
- Airflow in OR: q= 14,760 m³/h (4100 l/s)
- Air velocity: v=0.4 m/s
- Canopy: 3,200 x 3200 mm
- Integrated lighting.
- Surgical lights and ergonomic lighting integrated into canopy
- Air distribution through double layers of woven polyester fabric
- Fixed measurement points for DEHS testing.